Saturday, July 24, 2010

Final Hours

As the last few hours of my first 'summer vacation' since graduating from high school tick away, I feel so conflicted.  


On one hand, I obviously have a child to support so steady, gainful employment is what keeps a roof over our heads and food on our plates.  On the other hand, though, spending the predominance of my day away from that which is most important in my life (my daughter) to go and do something I neither enjoy nor find pride in is so, so difficult.  


I've so enjoyed our time this summer.  No, we didn't travel the world or do anything extravagant, but I got to be there for those daily joys of childhood - having lunch with her and Nana, catching a glimpse of her creating an entire world of fairies, overhearing her talk to her friends on the phone (for HOURS on end!), seeing the joy in her face when we visited a local bridge to watch the bats take off for their evening meal and visiting a few of our beautiful, local parks.


These daily moments are what really bring me joy.  Yes, family vacations are wonderful, but in many ways they are an artificial time outside of day-to-day reality.  It's the smaller moments I treasure and loathe to give up just to return to work.  I am well aware that today it's highly coveted to create a 'work/life balance', but as I see the precious years slipping away and know how much I am missing all I can dream about is the time when I get to be a full-time Mama.  


I can find nothing else that brings me such mental & physical challenge, joy, anxiety, peace, stress and utter bliss.  So I will continue to manifest a life that allows me to be the Mama who never has to miss another school function or who has to explain why I have to get on an airplane without her to go to one of the places she's dreamed about going since she was five (Chicago - she would give anything to be able to spend a day or two at the Field Museum to see Sue, the dinosaur!).  


And, I think I'll work on manifesting a trip back to Chicago WITH my daughter to spend a few days at the Field Museum, while I'm at it.  





No comments:

Post a Comment