Sunday, July 18, 2010

All Paths...


If you've read any of my previous blogs, you'll see a recurrent theme of 'All paths lead to the top of the mountain'...something I wholeheartedly believe.


This past week, I had a discussion with my dad about burkas (the full body garment worn by women of the Muslim faith).  My dad was reading an article in the paper about the fact that France may ban the wearing of burkas and he wanted to know my opinion.  


Dad said he supports the ban for safety reasons.  He feels those who wear the burka are extremists, which opens the door to extremist actions (such as suicide bombings) and, therefore, should be banned in public because a burka is a perfect way to hide a bomb.  Also, he's just opposed to the public display of religion.  (If I've misquoted you, Dad, please let me know!)


I told him I felt if you ban the burka as an outward sign of religion, whether you agree it's an extreme representation or not, then, theoretically, you have to ban all outward signs of religion such as the Christian wearing of a cross or crucifix,  the Jewish wearing of Yarmulka or Star of David, the Wiccan wearing of the pentacle, the Buddhist wearing of robes, etc.  And, if you ban the burka because of it's ease of hiding a bomb, then do you not also have to ban all other loose fitting clothing, such as parkas, Hawaiian MuuMuus, oversized sweatshirts, etc?  


I love these conversations with my Dad, because he's the kind of guy who truly listens.  What we discovered we had in common was:

  • our belief that extremism in anything often leads to negative and, often, damaging behaviors,
  • that any belief or belief system should be not only open but welcoming of challenge and scrutiny, because if it can withstand those (whether from yourself or others) then you know you have a truth for yourself, and
  • not all truths have to be the same for them to be truths!  

For me, Christianity didn't stand up to my personal challenges or scrutiny and neither did Catholicism, Judaism, Wicca or many other religions I explored.  What I found in my journey were pieces from all religions that spoke to my heart, but the overriding dogma which creates inflexibility and squelches growth  
continually turned me away from any formalized church or service.


However, earlier this year, Janan and I began attending the local Unitarian Universalist congregation.  For me, sitting in a room every Sunday with open-minded people who choose many different labels (atheist, agnostic, Christian, Spiritual, Wiccan) for themselves, but are welcoming of all was so wonderful. We even went so far as to actually join and become members.  


Today, we had a guest speaker at UUCNWT and he made a point that SO spoke to me.  He was talking about how often UU members get asked, "What DO Unitarians believe?"  And because there is no dogma, doctrine or creed to follow and there is no ONE belief system of Unitarians that question is almost impossible to answer.  


For those of us who had attended a more traditional church we often recited some type of creed during the service which expressed a specific belief or belief system.  At the church I grew up in it was the Apostle's Creed: 



I believe in God the Father Almighty,
maker of heaven and earth;
And in Jesus Christ his only Son our Lord:
who was conceived by the Holy Spirit,
born of the Virgin Mary,
suffered under Pontius Pilate,
was crucified, dead, and buried;
the third day he rose from the dead;
he ascended into heaven,
and sitteth at the right hand of God the Father Almighty.
I believe in the Holy Spirit,
the holy catholic church,
the communion of saints,
the forgiveness of sins,
the resurrection of the body,
and the life everlasting. Amen.


This made it VERY simple to tell others what we "believe".


Unitarian's, on the other hand, don't have a set creed, instead we have a Covenant:


We, the members of the UUC of Northwest Tucson, covenant:

  • to build a community which will enhance the quest for personal freedom, development and values;
  • to meet the needs of the liberal religious community and the community at large;
  • to expand the interpersonal and intergenerational relationships of the members;
  • to recognize that religion is an ongoing process achieved through search;
  • to make a strong commitment to reach all individuals of every age by continuing religious education built upon our cultural and historic backgrounds.
The difference, as he pointed out, is that the creed is a statement of faith, whereas the UU covenant is an agreement of action.  We are not a group of like-minded individuals who get together once a week to reaffirm for each other what we believe.  Instead, we are a diverse group of open-minded people who challenge, encourage and support each other on our chosen life's path.   

For me, this reaffirms my path.  

May we all find people who not only support our current chosen path, but may we all find the courage to open our beliefs to the challenge and scrutiny of others and, more importantly, ourselves and we grow.

2 comments:

  1. Garrrrrrumpf! Can't believe I lost my original "comment", which was actually more like an essay. Sigh. I don't do so swell the second time around, so this will be a sorry excuse for the original. :(

    The most important comment I wanted to make is that from what I've read on this French movement to ban the burqa, it hasn't been spun so much as a safety issue as a women's rights issue...which I totally think is backwards. I don't believe that taking away a woman's choice is feminist empowerment. (The French are very big on feminism). Sure, there may be some women who feel they are forced into wearing it, but there are others who make that choice on their own. I'm basing this on my Middle Eastern studies in and beyond college and ethnographies. Plus a little common sense. If the government wishes to help women who DO wish to ditch the garment, they need to identify and pursue other measures to help them.

    The real underlying cause here is racism. There has been an influx of Middle Eastern people into France the past several years. The French government has been slightly fanatical in recent history about preserving their nationality...for example, being very careful about preventing too many English cognates to slip into their language. The whole feminist argument, although surely sincerely believed by some, seems to me smoke and mirrors.

    Remember earlier in the year when the Swiss government banned any future construction of minarets??? This is a dangerous (and disgusting) road.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm bummed, too!

    Once again, we're on the same page, my friend! I said almost the same thing to my Dad.

    While I don't agree with the burka personally, if it's a woman's educated choice than she should have the right to wear it.

    True feminism should HONOR the woman, not resort to the philosophy of what is good for me is good for you.

    ReplyDelete