Janan started her new school last week and though she's made some great friends and, for the most part, is very happy with her classes and teachers, she's really struggling with math. Additionally, the school seems to believe homework = learning, so every night she's had 4-6 hours of homework. It's been a stressful, challenging two weeks.
| Enjoying a peach smoothy while deep conditioning |
So, this afternoon when I picked her up from school I had her favorite peach smoothy waiting and let her know that I had made a new rule for tonight - NO HOMEWORK! I also told her there was a surprise waiting at home.
When we arrived, she discovered new shampoo & conditioner in her shower (she had run out of what she had) and some new facial cleaners (I noticed that my 'tween' is showing signs of 'teen' skin) on the bathroom counter and, her favorite, BLUE nail polish.
![]() |
| Deep conditioning and a mud mask! |
I told her it was "Janan Spa Day". Her special day consisted of:
- a nice warm shower
- intensive, deep hair conditioning
- a full facial mask (while we waited for the deep conditioner to set)
- another quick shower to remove the deep conditioner & mask
- a full manicure (WITH nail art)
- some relaxing reading, burning candles and peaceful music, while enjoying an asian pear and tall glass of water and waiting for her manicure to dry
- a full pedicure
- second coat of nail polish topped off with nail art
- and, finally the move based on one of her all-time favorite books (Percy Jackson & the Olympians enjoyed with buttered popcorn and candy corn
![]() |
| Enjoying a new Life Magazine with amazing wildlife photography (she wants to be a wildlife photographer when she grows up). |
I'm hoping she's learning how important it is to take some time out. As women, we tend to take on so much, expect so much of ourselves and beat ourselves up when things don't go as we believe they "should".
![]() |
| Munching on an asian pear while reading Hope for the Flowers |
She's one amazing kid and I want to make sure she knows it!
| BLUE fingernails & nail art! |
![]() |
| And we ended the evening with her favorite blanket, her owl & bat, buttered popcorn and a showing of Percy Jackson and the Olympians. |




Love it and I completely agree in teaching her to take time outs for herself. You are such a good mommy! hugs.
ReplyDelete