Sunday, July 19, 2009

Humbling

A lot of my life lately has been very humbling. I'm a natural-born people pleaser and so I spend 99% of my time trying to make sure others are happy and that I'm not disappointing them (the remaining 1% I'm sleeping).

I want my parents to be proud, my employers to be 'wowed', my friends to know I'm always here for them (and I am!) and the general public to see me and think, "That girl has it together."

So, getting divorced after less than 3 years of marriage, having to quit my job that effected so many and moving in with my parents has been quite...humbling (to say the least).

I guess being the one who always thinks about taking care of everything and everyone else, I don't think about others taking care of me. As a matter of fact, I see it as a burden on others and have always done what I can to avoid having to rely on anyone but myself. So, I've been even more humbled by how my friends and family have been here during everything loving me, supporting me, laughing with me and crying with me.

I've discovered that the most judgmental person in my life is me. I see failure where others see perseverance. I see weakness in myself where others see strength. I can't say thank you enough to those who have shown me so much love and support.

I truly am humbled.

No comments:

Post a Comment