Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Am I Worthy?

Ever wonder why a license is required for driving a car, hunting, fishing, teaching, brain surgery and so much more, but NOT for parenting?  


Why is raising a child - arguably the most important thing anyone can do - viewed as a biological 'right' and not an earned 'privilege'?  


In some ways, I guess, simply because I'm an adoptive parent who had to go through what most would consider extreme measures to be approved as a parent, I WAS licensed.  But, just because I lived in a clean home, am educated, have a loving, supportive family and was, at the time, licensed by the state of Tennessee to assist in the raising of other people's children (as a foster parent) doesn't necessarily mean I'm qualified to be responsible for solely raising another human being.  


Yes, my daughter is loved beyond measure, not abused, honored for who she is, challenged to develop her own perspectives and - did I mention, loved beyond measure?  There are still times when I am acutely aware that my parenting skills are grossly lacking.  


My hope is that somehow this amazing human being I'm trying to support and nurture as she grows is in no way stunted by my ineptness and can, someday, look back and realize I did the best I could.  

No comments:

Post a Comment