When I watch TV, I get so upset seeing girls portrayed as either beautiful, stupid and mean or average (to downright ugly), sweet and intelligent. In no way does this truly reflect the feminine in our world. As HUMANS (no matter our gender) we come in all shapes, sizes, colors, intelligence levels, etc.
Personally, I feel we need to expand the argument that portraying girls as stick-thin waifs is damaging (which it, for sure, is) to arguing that stereotyping in any way is dangerous. It degrades who we all are.
![]() |
| That's my girl in the blue & green tie-dyed shirt! |
I understand it's human nature to seek out similarities to create bonds. I just hope we can eventually evolve to honoring the individuality of each person and the beauty that brings to our lives and the world in ALL forms.

Oh, I so love the idea of looking within and honoring who we are as well as what we do with what we have.
ReplyDeleteRecently, Oprah had on Terri Hatcher, Cybil Shepard, and Linda Evans. Each one said that being known for being beautiful ended up being so difficult because it wasn't earned. And because it kept them, for many years, from seeing what was inside the pretty wrapping paper.
May Janan continue to blossom academically, as a young woman, and as a human. She sounds like something unique and special.