Saturday, August 1, 2009

Life Lessons

I believe we are all here for a reason...that the reason (or reasons) we are here help our soul evolve and that that evolution of the soul is what finally releases us from the need to incarnate on Earth.

I truly believe that.

So, despite some low points in life, I've always tried to find the reason behind them and learn.

Apparently, Mama's being 'schooled' right now. And, truthfully, it can be hard to see the lessons when you feel as if you're being kicked every time you're down.

Wednesday, I got a call from the temp agency that there was a temp position they wanted to know if I would be interested in. Though the job was just for a week, it was with a man known as "The Donald Trump of Tucson". How could I pass that one up? Even though the position was only a week, I knew it would lead to potential opportunities that could be full time! I was SO excited!

The interview was scheduled for Thursday afternoon at 12:15. I had a breakfast with the Chamber of Commerce Thursday morning at 7:00 a.m. and then planned to come home, change clothes and go to the interview at 12:15. At about 9:30 a.m. my cell phone rang and it was the temp agency saying they had bad news and good news. The bad news was that the job I was to interview for had called to say they couldn't do the interviews...the good news was the job had asked the temp agency who they would choose and they chose me! What an honor! I was so pleased and really felt that things were starting to go my way! The one bummer was that Mom & Dad had planned a trip to the Grand Canyon for us all leaving on Sunday, but they were going to go ahead and take Janan and I was going to go to work.

Not only did I get the job (which started Friday morning - the very next morning), but it meant I had the entire day to spend with Janan! Our plan was to head to the library to pick up some books she had requested from other libraries , drop off a resume at the company of a woman I had met that morning at the Chamber breakfast and come home and swim. I truly felt we had turned a corner.

We decided to go after lunch and that gave Janan time to practice her piano lesson and talk to her friend Shoshanah. While Janan was on the phone, I headed upstairs to make a few updates to my resume, change into comfy clothes and was heading back down the stairs when - despite not running, messing around or tripping over a dog - I fell down the stairs.

Really?! How does someone in pretty good health, not drunk or using drugs, just fall down perfectly clear, carpeted stairs? I heard something snap and once I hit the bottom the pain was immediate. Janan came to my rescue and called Nana. Nana was at her bridge game and I felt really bad making her come home, but I couldn't get up and knew I was going to need help.

To top it off? I'm uninsured right now. It was part of our divorce agreement that Andy would cover Janan & I until I got a job but Andy just hadn't gotten around to submitting the paperwork yet. I tried to just sit down and let the pain pass, but after an hour the swelling was getting worse and the pain wasn't going away.

Mom took me to the ER, they gave me Percocet (which REALLY threw me for a loop) and did some x-rays. I fractured my foot in two places and, though the knee isn't broken, there's most likely tendon and/or ligament damage. I have an appointment with an orthopedist on Tuesday to find out how bad the damage is.

My reaction to the Percocet made me very sick all day Friday and so now, while I wait for the appointment with the orthopedist I'm managing my pain with Tylenol and working with the state of AZ to get insurance.

What can I learn from losing my first good job prospect, causing my family to have to cancel their vacation, and dealing with a potentially serious injury that could require surgery without insurance?

I'm working on that. I'll let you know when I figure it out.



No comments:

Post a Comment