Saturday, November 23, 2013

National Adoption Day

One of the pictures Lillian sent me from Guatemala.
Like many whose life has been impacted by a certain day in their lives, the celebration or remembrance is a daily, not a yearly, thing.  

Over 13 years ago, I traveled to a third-world county just emerging from a 36-year civil war to have a 5-month old baby girl placed in my arms.

I celebrate that day EVERY day of my life (even when she's manifesting as a snarky teen ;o)).  

But, just like Mother's Day, this day reminds me of all those who made this day a relevant one in my life.  

Jorge & Mary Rodriguez - Adoptive parents and amazing people who showed me that loving a child is about WHO they are and NOT the labels society has placed on them.

Sandy Russell - Adoption angel extraordinaire.  Her dedication and commitment to creating families makes her worthy of her own National Celebration Day.  

My Parents - Always there for me.  Always supportive. Even when they weren't sure if the path I was on was "right".  I only hope I can do the same for my daughter.

Julie - The International Adoption agent, states away in MI while I was in TN, who guided me through the challenges of completing my dossier and connecting me with an attorney, translators and guides in Guatemala.

Santos - "First Mother" or "Birth Mother" is what society may call her, but in my eyes she's a Mother.  She nurtured and loved this child of ours for 9 months.  Assuring her a life and then, ultimately, a life beyond what she felt she could provide.  


Me, Janan & Lillian
Lillian - "Foster Mother" in other's eyes, Mother in mine.  Taking in a child you know won't stay long & loving that child as if they'll be with you forever takes a special kind of person.  

Every local, state and Federal employee who was a part of helping me get notarized, certified or authenticated documents, fingerprinted, a passport, or any other "necessary" and invaluable paperwork for my dossier.  You may never know your impact on so many lives for that simple (thought at times, frustrating) act.

Al Garcia - Long time family friend, who graciously and with no request for himself, translated all those documents into Spanish so the Guatemalan officials could read and approve them.

Walter - My attorney in Guatemala who was "there" in a way many legal representatives would not.  Beyond the paperwork, he was there the day I met Janan.  And, I saw him comfort Lillian as she walked away from the amazing child she had loved and cared for for 5 months.

There are so many more;  every friend and stranger alike, who supported and encouraged this journey.  Every single person who has nurtured and loved this amazing child I often, erroneously,  call "mine".  


As the cliche says, "It takes a village to raise a child."  In every adopted child's life, there is TRULY a village who has made their life and family possible.  

So, this "Adoptive" Mama, a.k.a. Mama, realizes that today I celebrate a village of people who nurtured, birthed, raised, and loved before me and with me to make it even possible for me to be called "Mama".

Happy Adoption Day to ALL those whose lives have been made whole through adoption, but may we also remember those whose lives were torn apart and left with a missing piece or pieces.  Our gain would never be possible without their sacrifice and loss.  

That's a tragedy I will stand in awe of and honor EVERY day I get the privilege of being called Mama.

6 comments:

  1. I love how you credit so many who helped make you and Janan a family.

    As the Mama of an almost-teen, I had to laugh at the snarky teen comment (and nod my head vigorously!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori, I truly believe that without each and every one of them, our family wouldn't be.

      LOL! I just have to remember I'm STILL thankful even when she's snarky! ;o)

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful post! So much to be thankful for as adoptive mamas... not a day goes by that I don't remember that my happiness is directly linked to someone else's loss and sacrifice. Happy Adoption Day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a powerful post. Thank you so much for sharing this, it's amazing. Happy Belated Adoption Day!

    ReplyDelete