Since attending the AAGT conference last week and then joining the Yahoo Group Talented Youth of Southern Arizona, my passion for gifted education has been re-ignited. I know it never went away, but without the support (or understanding) of others it's easy to begin feeling like a salmon swimming upstream. And, swimming with a flame in any direction can often lead to it going out. ;op
Then, I was sent a link to this blog:
I DON'T brag about my gifted kid
Which referenced this blog:
I Hate Hearing About Your Gifted Child
The first blog said for me what I am often too nice to say. But, I know the second blog reflects more parents feelings. WHY? Why is it OK to talk about the child who is athletically gifted, but not the child who is academically gifted?
I've spent the last 3 years here in AZ trying to fit Janan into the existing education system (which is by any standards some of the worst in the nation). It's the proverbial "square peg in a round hole" thing. But, I'm SICK & TIRED of the schools and society telling me my child is a "square peg". SHE'S not the problem, the school systems and our societal beliefs/biases regarding giftedness are!
Just yesterday I was in a high school and watched as two women escorted a severely disabled student down the hall, speaking to him about the importance of drinking water to keep himself hydrated. This student was clearly non-verbal, but our LAWS require he receive the highest level of education possible (as it should) and that the education be at his level. He's not placed into a classroom and expected to work "at grade level".
There is NO federal funding for Gifted & Talented education (all decisions are made at the state and/or local level), but the Department of Education has an entire office dedicated to Special Education. As I've said time & again, these students DESERVE this level of advocacy and education, so why doesn't MY child who is ALSO special needs? Better yet, why don't ALL children?
No Child Left Behind has done NOTHING to right the wrongs in our education system. The system has simply modified itself (read, "dumbed itself down") to match the level of the most basic student in each grade level so we're creating a culture of doing the least required to pass an arbitrary exam.
But, this goes beyond just the special needs students. The school systems in this country are FAILING our children - ALL of them.
Why aren't we outraged?
Changing Education Paradigms
I'm starting to realize I am outraged, but that rage has to be used for good. So, I'm going to "be the change I wish to see in the world". I don't know where to start, so I'm just going to jump in with both feet.
My daughter's future depends on it.

I really enjoy your posts! You write very nicely, and they're not too long. I could particularly relate to this one. Sigh. So right on. Thanks for bringing it into more light!!!
ReplyDeleteAs a former public high school teacher, I can say that I spent an enormous amount of time on the kids who were performing below grade level. There was no time, and there was very little encouragement, to focus more on the gifted and unchallenged students. I did my best, but there was a lot of pressure to get the "behind" students' scores up!
Since I homeschool my own gifted children now, I can see what a huge huge HUGE disadvantage this population of kids is at. I believe a large part of the US's falling off the map in math and science, not to mention plain old INNOVATION and creativity is because these children are left uninspired and not asked to perform at a higher level. In addition, their schedules are crammed with academics, leaving very little room for artistic pursuits, which help to develop those artistic and creative talents. :(
Thanks, Julie! Your boys are SO blessed to have a Mama who is helping them become ALL they can! I can only imagine how blessed the students you taught were, as well.
ReplyDeleteI agree with you whole-heartedly & that's why I know I have to do whatever I can to make it better for not only my daughter, but as many children as possible.