I mean, I can't be the only one, right?
I'm talking about the ability to take a totally "normal" (whatever the heck that means) situation and turn it into a world crisis. Let me explain.
Since returning from their holiday break, Janan's class has been working on an assignment as part of an ongoing lesson. The assignment has different parts each week that they have to bring home and complete. The lesson? Understanding maps and how to read them.
In an apparent attempt to make the assignment 'fun' and more relevant for the kids, the first part was to create a map of their home and the surrounding 'land marks'. This assignment was given last week and caused a complete Janan melt down.
As I've mentioned before, Janan's giftedness/divergent thinking/perfectionism (whatever label you wanna use) causes her to take a simple assignment and turn it into something MUCH bigger (uh, wait...that's what I'm doing. Huh, bet there will be a parallel somewhere.) because she struggles with the relatively simple task of "Make a map of your apartment." and turns it into the belief that her map has to look like something Rand McNally would create and distribute to the general public. Since she can't make a 'professional' map, in her mind, she might as well just not create a map at all.
We were able to talk through that one with the often repeated, "Honey, you are 9-years-old. No one, me or your teacher, expects your map to look like a professional map. Your teacher just wants you to learn how maps work."
Of course, that led to the next conversation which started with, "But I've done this BEFORE at my old school! It's STUPID! I already KNOW how to read a map."
Fast forward to this week, we're in Part 2 of the assignment and the same issues are arising, but this time she's focusing on the fact that she's done this EXACT same thing before and it's 'stupid'.
So, here's where Henny Penny Mama comes in.
On one side of this (I call it my "JananMama" side), I TOTALLY see her points that 1) Yes, she has done this same assignment before (2 years ago as a matter of fact) & 2) Yes, she does now how to read a map.
Then on the other side (my "SociallyAcceptableMama" side?) I think, "That's part of life. Sometimes you have to redo something or go through an experience/situation more than once, simply for the benefit of others." Maybe it doesn't always seem fair but, in this instance especially, no one will be harmed (physically, mentally, spiritually or emotionally) in the making of another colored-pencil and construction paper map, right?
Immediately after that though, the forthcoming world crisis begins to form in my brain.
Wait! How do I know she's not being harmed in the making of the colored-pencil and construction paper map? As a child who eats up learning like some children eat candy, wouldn't backtracking seem futile? Even painful? Just like she's said, "I KNOW this already! This is such a waste of time!" Couldn't this time be spent on adding NEW information to her repertoire? Something that stimulates her brain and engages her enthusiasm for learning?
I've fought for over 5 years now (and continue to fight) for schools to honor my daughter's learning needs. I wholeheartedly believe we MUST teach to the child, not require the child to conform to the teaching.
So, as these thoughts form, I find myself stepping back on my proverbial soapbox and taking this normal 'don't wanna do stupid homework' scenario (that, by the way, I'm completely aware is being played out in millions of homes around the world) into another example of how our education system is failing not only my daughter, but all children and how we need a complete overhaul of the education system in this country.
Then, I'm ready to write a letter to the President, First Lady, Oprah, every world leader on the planet, their mothers and the Dalai Lama (just for good measure) to let them know THIS is a world crisis we need to be addressing RIGHT NOW.
Or, "SCREW THAT!", I think, I'll march on Capital Hill and personally create legislation that will honor ALL children's educational needs."
Then, I figure, that's been done so often and nothing's changed, so I'll just move to Finland (known for having the top education system in the world).
So, how exactly did I get from a seemingly "normal" childhood homework discussion to moving to Finland?Just call me Henny Penny Mama.
No comments:
Post a Comment