Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Real Love

Back in college while living with a boyfriend we began discussing getting a dog.  I grew up always having a dog in the house and really missed one.  He had grown up never having one and really wanted one.  So, we thought PERFECT!  We'll get a dog.  However, nothing is ever that easy.  He wanted a Rottweiler or a German Shepherd & I wanted something a bit smaller.  We lived in a TINY basement apartment and I just didn't think it was fair to put a huge dog in such a tiny living space.


As we quickly discovered we couldn't agree on a breed or even size of dog, we quit discussing it all together.  Then, one day I stopped into the pet supply store of a friend named Doug.  Doug sold only supplies and no animals so I was shocked to walk in a find a puppy running around the store.


Dream Rider Samantha Jayne
This was, without a doubt, the most beautiful puppy I had ever seen.  Doug informed me someone had dumped her on his step early that morning before he arrived at work and that (stupidly enough) the "Dumper" had also left the puppies paperwork.  She was a full-blooded, AKC Australian Shepherd and had been purchased from a breeder.  Doug called the breeder, who called the "Dumper" and discovered he had bought her for his girlfriend but she "didn't want the puppy."  The breeder was livid because the guy had signed a contract to return the dog if anything went wrong, but made arrangements to drive down the following day to pick up the puppy from Doug (Doug's partner was allergic to dogs, so it wasn't an option for him to keep her).  


Prior to that moment I had never heard of an Australian Shepherd (AKA Aussie), but I offered to take her home over night so Doug didn't have to sleep in the store on a cot.  As soon as I had her in my arms, I knew I wouldn't let her go.  I drove straight to my the music store where my boyfriend worked.  On the drive there I planned a wonderful speech in my head of how she was a perfect combination of what we both wanted (a bit bigger than I had planned, a bit smaller than he had, she was full-blooded/AKC - important to him, I had wanted a mutt from the pound, etc.), but when I walked in I instead started blubbering and all I could get out was, "I'm just keeping her for Doug!  We don't have to keep her.  The breeder is coming..."  All my boyfriends co-workers (who were also in a band with him) looked at me and then to him and he immediately started laughing.  His response was, "Yeah, like I'm not going to let you keep her.  I KNOW I'd be out on the street tomorrow!"  


We stopped in to see Doug the next morning, he called the breeder (who had already been paid for her & now trusted Doug's word that I'd be a good Mama) and we had our dog.


Six years later, when my boyfriend and I separated I told him all I wanted was the dog...and I got her.  


Samantha Jayne & "her" cat, Ian.
She was my constant companion.  My confidant.  My protector.  My camping buddy.  My hiking partner.  She was with me when I adopted two kittens who weren't supposed to survive and she nursed them to full health.  She 'mothered' many other stray puppies, kittens, dogs and cats through the years.  She helped me foster 2 human babies and let me cry in her fur when they were returned to their families.  She rejoiced with me when Janan came home.  


Together we moved from IN to TN so I could start my first job at Saturn.  She helped me pick the land for my first house and then moved back to IN almost 10 years later when it was time to find a new job.  By the time we moved to MI after my marriage, she was getting on in age and slowing down.  Even as they put the needle in her arm because she was in a pain that could no longer be alleviated, she was there for me.  As I fell apart, she remained calm licking my tears as if to say, "You're making the right choice."  That night, as I held her I really didn't believe I would ever have another companion in life who was so selflessly loving, committed and loyal.


Dream Rider Samantha Jayne
July 4, 1992 - Feb. 19, 2008
My husband was not an animal lover and had only accepted Samantha Jayne into his life because he knew I wouldn't come without her.  Even though I wasn't ready for another dog after her passing, I knew he would never have another dog in the house.  This made her passing even harder.


So, a year later, when I had to tell Janan about the impending divorce, I was surprised to have one of her first questions be, "Can we get a dog now, Mom?"  


Damn straight we can, babe.


But, I wanted us to be settled.  Somewhere a dog could run, play and grow up with Janan.  Every girl should grow up with a dog.


Now we're settled and Janan is growing faster than I ever dreamed.  It was time to welcome a new companion into our family. I started the search online looking at all the local shelters and rescue organizations.  My plan had been to find another Aussie.  I contacted the local Aussie Rescue and scoured every picture from the websites.  


Cosette
However, I truly believe animals choose us and on a trip to the local pet store for cat litter last weekend our new family member found us.  Her name is Cosette and though her name means "beautiful little one", it appears there will be nothing "little" about her.  Her sweet disposition captured my heart immediately.  


If she's half the dog Samantha Jayne was, Janan will be one lucky girl. 

3 comments:

  1. Welcome to the family Cosette, May you all 3 enjoy each other and may you bring many years of happiness, joy & laughter in each other lives, may she bring you and Janan years of companionship & love, hope we get a chance to met her! So happy you all found each other! Love you all - Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, you had me crying about Samantha. Such a sweet dog! And now Cosette -- I'm so glad she's found her way into your family. She looks like a wonderful addition!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Carol! Cosette, Janan & I will be awaiting the day you, Mark & the girls come to visit!

    Lori, I cried while typing it! I thought I was going to blog about the new puppy, but apparently my heart needed to honor Samantha Jayne. :o)

    ReplyDelete