Thursday, March 31, 2011

So, let's recap this week, shall we?

Sunday: (Well, some say the week starts here, so that's where we'll begin).  

Seems to be getting the week of to an amazing start.  The morning starts with a wonderful service at Mountain Vista UU, followed by laughter and memories with other UU Mamas about our Mama's Night Out on Saturday.  (Let's just say there was a rouge tea light candle, chocolate fondue and a fireball and leave it at that.) That afternoon I actually find another parent whose children attend Janan's school willing to do carpool!  (And none to soon, since Nana & Poppy left Saturday afternoon for a nearly month long cruise to Spain.)  Am looking toward the week thinking, "Whoo hoo!  I'm going to get to keep my job!"

Monday: New carpool late, have to leave child alone for a stranger to pick up (cry all the way to work).  Arrive at school with my "I've been bawling" face (you know, red nose, puffy, swollen eyes and snot crusted somewhere you missed with the tissue) only to discover I'm presenting for the hottest teacher ever. Lovely.

Driving home hoping my child has actually arrived at school, I look behind me to see a motorcycle officer with lights going.  When I pull over to let him pass, he pulls in behind me.  Turns out the registration sticker has been missing from my license plate SINCE LAST OCTOBER and the TPD just realized it today.  Since the sticker was in my glovebox, I'm given a warning and no ticket. 

Tuesday: Carpool late again. Still couldn't ID the woman picking up my child. Have visions all the way to work of going to pick her up and finding she's not there and then having to explain to the police that, "No, Officer, I have no idea who picked up my child.  Yes, sir, I gave her my address, child's name and information on exactly when I would leave."  Sure, she sounded nice on the phone, but I'm sure Ted Bundy did also.  Not reassuring at this point.

Wednesday: Rack & Pinion steering fails "shooting metal into the system (direct quote from service advisor) taking out the power steering pump with it. Have to wait at the Subaru dealer with "Fox News watching loud phone talker".  

Get back home with loaner car to try and get some semblance of work out of my "scheduling day" only to find Comcrap has, once again, crashed.  Call and am informed by girl who started the conversation with, "Thank you for choosing Comcast!  This is (insert foreign name I could neither spell nor repeat), what may I do to satisfy you today?" (Every time they say that, I want to reply, "Find me a nice island somewhere with an existing garden and fruit trees, a man who truly wants to be a partner and knows how to sexually satisfy a woman and where I never need Comcast!", but instead I just say, "I'm without service again!") that all the service is out "in the mountains".  Uh, I don't live "in the mountains", I live at the base of a mountain range, but apparently that's irrelevant.  Am given no ETA on when it will be repaired.  

Entire day of work lost.

Thursday: No longer can deny full blown head cold thanks to near complete lack of sleep, congestion and sore throat.  Realize at 4:21 a.m. I didn't charge PDAs for today's workshop.  Jump out of bed, plug in 35 PDAs and then try to go back to sleep despite adrenaline rush now combined with sore throat and congestion.  

Give up sleep attempt when alarm rings at 5:15 a.m., make breakfast for darling daughter (realize it's "hot lunch day" at school and even though I despise "hot lunch day" because it reinforces god-awful eating habits, am joyous I don't have to make hot lunch in addition to hot breakfast).  Dress self, apply make-up (Why? I'm not sure, since I just keep rubbing it off every time I blow my nose) & continue to "encourage" darling daughter to get herself dressed.  Finally, take away the iTouch she's crouched behind the bed with and when asked, "When will I get it back?"  inform her, "I don't know!  Maybe when you're 25!". 

Note to self: Add crappy parenting to crappy week.

With tonsils so swollen I could act as my own airbag and a possible fever, I get into my loaner vehicle to discover coolant light on (Yeah, I knew no one would believe me, so I took a picture).  Now have to pick up children of Phantom Carpooling Mama in a vehicle that will most likely explode, but have no other choice.   

Meet Phantom Carpool Mama (really, she does seem nice, but best of all I can now ID her AND her husband in a line up) and drop off all children without incident.

Arrive at school to find teacher out sick (this is the 2nd time this teacher has been out sick when scheduled with me & didn't call to let me know). Thankfully,  substitute teacher agrees to allow presentation only to have every child in the class called to the auditorium for another college presentation arranged by the school. 
Log into my e-mail to notify boss of lost days work only to discover Friday's teacher has cancelled as well.  Spend the afternoon driving around town desperately trying to find someone else who will let me work tomorrow to no avail. 

And, really, there's nothing like begging while sick to make a woman feel strong & proud of what she does.

I believe that's my sign from the Universe that tomorrow shall be a "Personal Day".

1 comment:

  1. Oh, dear! I hope things are going much better lately and that you feel all better.

    I'm exhausted just reading about it -- it must have been tiring living it!

    ReplyDelete